tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Hardware mac address with pcap/winpcap

From: Chris Morgan <chmorgan () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 13:24:43 -0500

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Mar 4, 2009, at 9:19 AM, Gianluca Varenni wrote:

In the case of Windows/WinPcap, we have an internal Packet API to get the
MAC address, the main problem is exposing such MAC address at the pcap API
level. I actually didn't know that findalldevs was returning the MAC address
on (some flavors of?) linux. What is the sa_family in that case?

PF_PACKET, it appears; I suspect that means the address is a sockaddr_ll.

I can confirm that it is PF_PACKET on linux and that the values are
sockaddr_ll. It took quite a bit of searching to connect the dots,
there isn't a lot of info on the net about PF_PACKET sockaddr entries
and how to interpret them.

Chris
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.