tcpdump mailing list archives

pcap_next/pcap_dispatch on VMware vmnet device not timing out

From: Chris Morgan <chmorgan () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 19:10:37 -0400

Opening a live capture as root (using sudo), on a vmware bridge device
on Linux 2.6.27, using a timeout of 1000ms. I'm seeing pcap_next() and
pcap_dispatch() getting stuck reading, no timeouts are occurring. Is
there a robust and efficient way of reading packets that won't block
forever like this?  I'm doing this from that c# library so while I've
thought of using poll() on the devices file descriptor I wanted to
avoid doing low level calls like this so the code would work with
winpcap/pcap on windows/linux platforms.

I wrote a simple c app, using an example from
http://www.tcpdump.org/pcap.htm, so I had a really simple way of
reproducing the issue. I can post this if it would be helpful to
confirm that I'm not doing anything really dumb.

Chris
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.