tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Extra DLT types required for opensolaris DLPI DL

From: Sebastien Roy <Sebastien.Roy () Sun COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:57:08 -0400

On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 23:11 -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
On Mar 29, 2009, at 10:59 PM, Darren Reed wrote:

What I am considering is:

And what Sebastien is suggesting is, I think:

      using the DL_IPNET link-layer header for loopback devices, as
documented in the loopback device man page, in your Solaris BPF,
rather than inventing a new header;

Correct; I'm not suggesting that BPF use DLPI under the hood at all,
simply that the two implementations could share a common header format.
This only makes too much sense to me.

      implementing that by having BPF turn on DL_IOC_IPNET_INFO for
DL_IPNET devices.

This is less relevant, I think.  Darren may very well implement BPF in
such a way that it doesn't interact with any DLPI infrastructure, which
is fine.

(Sebastien, is that man page available to people *not* working at
Sun?  For that matter, are binary builds of the current state of
Solaris 11/OpenSolaris available to people not working at Sun, to, for
example, install on VMware virtual machines?)

All of this is available in the open, yes.  OpenSolaris is available to
anyone on the planet.  You can download and install a live CD image
here:

http://www.opensolaris.com/

Bi-weekly development builds are available publicly via the development
package repository at http://pkg.opensolaris.org/dev/.  Man pages are
included in these builds.

In addition, Sun keeps current copies of man pages at docs.sun.com
available for the public.  For example, the ipnet(7P)/lo0(7P) man page I
was referring to is available at:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-2254/ipnet-7d?a=view

-Seb

-