tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Should the default snapshot length in tcpdump be 65535?

From: Ken Bantoft <ken () netfunctional ca>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 17:44:42 -0500

On 21-Feb-09, at 4:49 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:

"Guy" == Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> writes:
   Guy> The "tcp" in "tcpdump" is a bit old - people use it for doing
   Guy> more than just looking at TCP headers these days - and it

 I wanted to release a program called "netdump" which would use
libnetdissect, and start anew option-wise. We have lots of overlapping
and confusing option letters on tcpdump.
 It would be tcpdump with a different main().

I'd almost vote for pktdump, since tcpdump's doing alot more than just classical 'network' packets these days (eg: Bluetooth, USB).

Back on topic, I'd be happy to see the default snaplen changed to 65535.

Ken
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.