tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: vlan [xx] filter not filtering any packets

From: Nikola Ciprich <extmaillist () linuxbox cz>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:12:50 +0200

Hi Guy,
thanks for your replies. OK, I see. I'm pretty ignorant in this area,
so please forgive my maybe dumb questions. So couldn't the solution
be in disabling hw VLAN headers stripping and letting the kernel do
the job for the time of dumping? The same way as it works for example
when using this virtio_net driver? Or maybe modifying generated BPF code
that "vlan xx" would become something like
(vlan==xx || skb->vlan_tci == 1) in kernel BPF? I don't know how complex
this would be though...
n.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but, at least in the 2.6.29 kernel, I
don't see any way that the kernel's BPF interpreter (sk_run_filter() in
net/core/filter.c) can get at skb->vlan_tci, so I don't think it's
possible to make filtering of packets with the VLAN header stripped off
work the same as filtering of packets with the VLAN header intact.

I would suggest that, when capturing on an interface where the VLAN tags
get stripped off, you use filters without "vlan" - even though, when
filtering the resulting capture file, you *would* use "vlan" in the
filters.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.

--