tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Privileges on Mac

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 12:52:00 -0700

On Apr 1, 2009, at 1:42 AM, Tobias Weber wrote:

On 01.04.2009, at 00:47, Guy Harris wrote:

A set-UID program that does what privileged stuff it needs to do (opening a pcap_t,

(what I've seen is using libpcap in the helper tool only and remote controlling that from the GUI)

Exactly - like dumpcap.

A pcap_t is too complex to pass from privileged to unpriviledged code. It's easy with a file descriptor, so it would be nice if libpcap could use one to make a pcap_t.

That's insufficient to provide the full capabilities of libpcap to non- privileged users on all platforms. On Linux, for example, you also need privileges to enumerate network adapters. The program would need to perform other operations - possibly including cleaning up monitor mode when closing the device.

Wireshark already does that, for separation-of-privileges reasons and for other reasons.

(it still requires changing permissions on the device for OS X)

At least with a reasonably recent top-of-SVN-tree build, making dumpcap set-UID root appeared to work, even with BPF devices to which I don't have access.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.