tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Is libpcap pcap_set_buffer_size() == winpcap

From: Chris Morgan <chmorgan () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 15:41:23 -0400

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Guy Harris<guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Sep 3, 2009, at 10:20 AM, Chris Morgan wrote:

I'm asking the user if pcap_set_buffer_size() will work for them. If
it does we can implement that interface and we'll be able to have the
same api that works the same across windows

...with WinPcap 4.1 or later...

mac

...with SnowLeopard or later...

linux

...with versions of distributions that have picked up libpcap 1.0 or
later...

http://oswatershed.com seems to indicate that some distributions - Arch
Linux, Sabayon, and Ubuntu - may have 1.0.0 in their current versions.

It also seems to indicate that FreeBSD has picked up 1.0.0; it looks as if
that's only in 8.0-CURRENT, though.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.

Yeah. Requiring the latest versions is a pain but it is a good first
step to get the support in place even if it requires the latest
versions.

Chris
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.