tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [Fwd: Re: Thread Safe Lexer]

From: "Gianluca Varenni" <gianluca.varenni () cacetech com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 15:34:16 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sam Roberts" <vieuxtech () gmail com>
To: <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2009 11:14 AM
Subject: Re: [tcpdump-workers] [Fwd: Re: Thread Safe Lexer]

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Eloy Paris<peloy () chapus net> wrote:
Do we use Flex and Bison on all supported platforms, or we have things
setup so we use the original Lex and Yacc on some platforms to have
backward source code compatibility?

Sorry if this is noise (it's been a while since I've used flex/bison),
but don't they generate portable C code, and isn't it that code that
is in the released source tarballs?

Actually building tcpdump should not require flex or bison, only
hacking on it from an svn checkout should require that, and if the
flex/bison output was checked in, even that should be only when
modifying the parser.

Anybody hacking on the source should be OK with installing/updating
the tools they need.

This actually makes sense to me (I actually have the same problem with WinPcap, and I do ship the generated files in the WinPcap source package). Are there any cons to this?

Have a nice day
GV

Cheers,
Sam