tcpdump mailing list archives

capturing Serial Port with pcap

From: Paul B. <apl21042 () verizon net>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:06:45 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I need to simultaneously observe the timing of ethernet traffic and a discrete
control signal. For the discrete signal, I was thinking that I could tie the
signal to a control signal such as CTS or RTS on the serial port and modify
the serial port driver to send a character or maybe a known PPP packet when
the discrete signal changes. Then, pcap would timestamp and capture both the
real ethernet packets and the PPP packet. Does this make sense?  Has anyone
done anything like this? Assuming RedHat linux on a relatively new PC what
kind of timestamp resolution might one expect?

    Thanks,

     Paul

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.