tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: remote capturing using tcpdump

From: Richard Huddleston <huddleston.richard () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 06:28:27 -0400

Like many people here, i've used tcpdump (or libpcap) to write data acquisition gadgets that then report up to some
higher tier.

If you wanted to build one without doing all the messy libpcap and socket calls, you could chain tcpdump, a little awk,
and nc (netcat) together.  It wouldn't be incredibly robust but would fall together very quickly and would be a little
more what you seem to have in mind.

Sent from my iPhone - please excuse any typos.