tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: ./configure failure, .log attached

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:11:10 -0800

On Jan 26, 2011, at 3:09 PM, Cameron Elliott wrote:

./configure told me to send my ./configure failure to the list.
(because it failed)
I hope that is correct.

Yes.

If you understand why it is failing, please explain to me.

It's failing because one of the checks it's doing is assuming that an OS with IPv6 support has a <netinet6/in6.h>
header file, but your version of Ubuntu - and possibly other Linux distributions - don't.

The Single UNIX Specification seems to imply that you include <netinet/in.h> to get address etc. definitions for IPv6;
it doesn't mention <netinet6/in6.h>.  The "Advanced Sockets API for IPv6" RFCs (RFC 2292 and RFC 3542) don't mention
<netinet6/in6.h>, either - they mention <netinet/in.h> and <netinet6/ip6.h>.  Thus, I don't think you could argue that
the lack of <netinet6/in6.h> is a bug; the configure script should be changed not to assume it's there on IPv6-capable
systems.

I don't see anything obvious in tcpdump that *cares* whether <resolv.h> defines res_state_ext or whether it has an
"nsort" member, so, unless somebody can give a good reason why the "checking for res_state_ext" or "checking for nsort
in res_state" checks need to be done, I will remove them.

Also, the email address in ./configure should be updated, it is wrong, it says:
configure:7867: result: no
configure:7874: error: Report this to tcpdump-workers () tcpdump org, and
include the config.log file in your report.

I've checked a fix for that into the main and 4.1 branches.-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.