tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: A puzzled maintainer with questions regarding DLT_ values

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 11:51:05 -0800

On Jan 19, 2011, at 1:02 AM, M.Baris Demiray wrote:

First of all, we're developing radio communication software,
particularly STANAG 5066. Alongside the serial interface for the modem
interface our implementation also has a socket interface for testing
purposes.

Now we have the need of saving STANAG 5066 PDUs into .pcap files to
analyze them later using our experimental STANAG 5066 DPDU (Data
Transfer Sublayer PDU) dissector. My ex-colleague, who wrote the
dissector, wrote it for the purpose of dissecting DPDUs captured from
the socket interface with prepending TCP header. But I, as the new
maintainer of this dissector, need to dissect raw STANAG 5066 PDUs now
since I modified the Data Transfer Sublayer (of STANAG 5066)  to
maintain a .pcap file and to save incoming DPDUs into this file with
relevant record headers.

OK, what do you mean by "raw STANAG 5066 PDUs"?

        http://www.isode.com/whitepapers/stanag-5066.html

says "At the modem level, STANAG 5066 uses packets (DPDUs) of a size appropriate to the modem speed."  Are those the
raw PDUs?

It also speaks of the "SIS protocol", which appears to be the low-layer protocol used to communicate with the "STANAG
5066 server", which appears to act as a gateway between applications and the STANAG 5066 radio layer.-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.