tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request for a DLT value (for nflog)

From: Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames-ws () darkjames pl>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 23:17:20 +0200

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 01:54:43PM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
Are these structures likely to remain unchanged (other than new TLV types being added,
and perhaps some TLVs changing length in a backwards-compatible fashion), so that older
DLT_NFLOG captures won't be rendered unreadable by code that reads newer ones, or does
this run the risk of changing into a mess like DLT_PFLOG, where the format changes in
incompatible fashion, so that code that reads newer captures can't read older captures?-

In nfgenmsg there's version field, but I'm not in netfilter dev team,
and can't answer these questions.

If DLT_* registration process can be only done by someone who maintains
given protocol/interface than I'm not such person :)

Cheers,
 Jakub.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.