tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: capturing on both interfaces simultaneously

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 11:35:49 -0800

On Dec 11, 2011, at 11:17 AM, abhinav narain wrote:

What is "it"?  Your program?  Or just *some* program?

Its the return statement of perror.

Presumably you were calling perror() because some call returned -1; what call was that?  If something keeps returning
-1 because, for example, it's a read from a non-blocking file descriptor on which no data is available to read, your
program is going to be chewing up CPU looping.

It works fine now.
But how do I know, how much packets is my program dropping?
using pcap_stats ?

Yes.

I already have 15% RAM being eaten by the program, so I can't actually
increase the buffer size to save packets in between select switches.

What is your program doing with the packets when it captures them?-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.