tcpdump mailing list archives

New datasource implementation

From: Akos Vandra <axos88 () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 17:54:44 +0100

Hi!

I have just written support for one of my CAN->USB adapter gadgets, so
that it would work with libpcap and thus with wireshark. I would love
to see support for my device as an option in future releases.

This is a USB adapter, and I am using libusb-1.0 to communicate with
the device. So in order for it to work, I need to libusb-1.0 linked as
well.

At the moment I am using a script-generated code to load the library
run-time, and load all the symbols to the according function pointers.
I am not very familiar with how dynamic libraries are linked, and
didn't want to hack around the makefiles too much.

So my questions are:
  - What are the steps needed to 'nicely' add support to a new device?
What do I have to add to the configuration, makefiles, #ifdefs, to add
conditional building?
  - How can I commit my newly supported device to the libpcap tree?
  - How can this libusb dependency be solved? I don't think it would
be fair to require all libpcap users to need libusb, just for one
device that they might not even use - conditional building might solve
this though.

Regards,
  Ákos Vandra
-