tcpdump mailing list archives

measure upload and download traffic ratio to specific port using tcpdump

From: Martin T <m4rtntns () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 14:44:58 +0300

I would like to measure ratio between download traffic and upload
traffic when using Windows Terminal Server(RDP; TCP port 3389). I
would use iptraf, but there are other connections over this interface
and I'm not able to disconnect this. Is it possible to measure
bandwidth usage with tcpdump? I tried this:

[root@ ~]# tcpdump -w download-traffic.cap -s 0 -ni eth1 src port 3389
& tcpdump -w upload-traffic.cap -s 0 -ni eth1 dst port 3389

..and later did:

[root@ ~]# ls -lh *traffic*
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    68K Oct 27 14:35 download-traffic.cap
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    38K Oct 27 14:34 upload-traffic.cap
[root@ ~]#

..but I'm not quite sure this is a correct way do do this. I mean
despite the "-s 0" option, I see only package headers saved into
download-traffic.cap and upload-traffic.cap files, but I need whole
packages saved..

regards,
martin
-