tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: regarding wireless data frames

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 16:09:35 -0800

On Mar 8, 2012, at 4:47 PM, abhinav narain wrote:

hi,
I have seen tcpdump,wireshark both just print packet contents till mac
header in monitor mode.
In case of normal wireless interfaces (wlan0), they follow a different
execution path.
Can someone tell me what should I expect in the the frame after
ieee80211_hdr (which comes after the radiotap header)  ?
According to my knowledge, I assume if the control frame bit with
Is it an llc header with a general format :
struct llc_hdr {
 uint8 dsap;
 uint8 ssap;
 struct {
   uint8 ui;
   uint8 org_code[3];
   uint16 ether_type;
 } snap;
};
so that i can jump it and get the ip header ?

Oh, and one more thing:

Some network adapters, when running in a mode where they supply an 802.11 header (such as monitor mode), put some
padding in between the 802.11 header and the payload, so the 802.2 LLC header in a data frame might not immediately
follow the 802.11 header (regardless of whether the payload is encrypted or not).  The radiotap header includes a flag
for that - it's the 0x20 flag bit in the Flags field:

        http://www.radiotap.org/defined-fields/Flags

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.