tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Multiple interface capture and thread safety

From: "David Laight" <David.Laight () ACULAB COM>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 17:03:46 +0100

As I have to deal with asymm. paths and perform flow analysis, I must
ensure that the packets of a flow are analyzed in temporal order, no
matter from which interface they came through.

You'll probably only manage that if the underlying low level
device driver (or preferably the hardware itself - because
of interrupt mitigation) adds a rx timestamp to the frame
AND that value is made available through the pcap library.

That might mean a very recent linux kernel (there are
current discussions on netdev about timestamps).

        David

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.