tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Test failure on Mac OS X 10.6.8

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 17:24:00 -0700

On Oct 14, 2012, at 4:25 PM, Marc Abramowitz <msabramo () gmail com> wrote:

marc@hyperion:~/dev/testing/tcpdump/tests
16:02:52 $ tcpdump -t -r e1000g.pcap
reading from file e1000g.pcap, link-type 226
tcpdump: unknown data link type 226

That's LINKTYPE_IPNET, a/k/a Solaris ipnet (when I first saw "e1000g" I was wondering how Solaris was involved...), and
recent versions of tcpdump and libpcap do support it.

Snow Leopard has libpcap 1.0.0/tcpdump 4.0.0, which didn't support LINKTYPE_IPNET; Lion has 1.1.0/4.1.0, which did.

I.e.:

        there's no guarantee that all of the top-of-trunk tests will work on anything other than top-of-trunk
libpcap/tcpdump;

        not all versions of OSes that supply libpcap and tcpdump supply the latest version.