tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Build failure on SmartOS

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 11:40:08 -0700

On Oct 13, 2012, at 8:39 AM, Marc Abramowitz <marc () marc-abramowitz com> wrote:

This actually smells like a problem in SmartOS's packaging, as I seem to have ended up with a mixture of 32-bit and
64-bit stuff and that seems like the problem,

Given that the error is

configure:5844: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -L/opt/local/lib -Wl,-R,/opt/local/lib -lpcap -lsocket -lnsl  >&5
ld: fatal: file /opt/local/lib/libpcap.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
ld: fatal: file processing errors. No output written to conftest

that's probably the case.  It looks as if you have a 64-bit libpcap installed, but the compiler is, I suspect, building
32-bit code by default.

So SmartOS is based on Illumos which is forked from OpenSolaris which is Solaris 10-vintage, so it might not come
standard with libpcap, so you have to install it from elsewhere.

My Solaris 10 virtual machine appears to have 32-bit libraries in /lib and 64-bit libraries in /lib/64; I don't know
whether there's an official convention for libraries installed under /opt/local, such as /opt/local/lib and
/opt/local/lib/64, so I don't know whether the libpcap package in question is violating any such convention.

Where did you install libpcap from?