tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: scan_sys_class_net bug in pcap-linux.c

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 14:46:43 -0800

On Dec 3, 2012, at 10:33 AM, Paul Sheer <paulsheer () gmail com> wrote:

works for me

Ok, good.

Thanks for noting the "subsystem in older kernels" issue - looking for ifindex is a better idea; in addition to dating
back to 2.6.0, it's also more strongly associated with being a network interface.

(What we really want is a way to ask for everything on which you can do SIOCGIFINDEX and use the result of that ioctl
in a bind() call on a PF_PACKET socket, i.e. everything that you can capture on using a PF_PACKET socket.  I guess
asking for everything under /sys/class/net that has an ifindex property is one way of doing that; perhaps there's
another way to do that with netlink sockets.)