tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: PROBLEM: Software injected vlan tagged packets are unable to be identified using recent BPF modifications

From: Ani Sinha <ani () aristanetworks com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 17:25:09 -0800

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 4:05 PM, Paul Pearce <pearce () cs berkeley edu> wrote:
Hello folks,

PROBLEM:

vlan tagged packets that are injected via software are not picked up
by filters using recent (kernel commit
f3335031b9452baebfe49b8b5e55d3fe0c4677d1)
BPF vlan modifications. I suspect this is a problem with the Linux
kernel.

linux-netdev and tcpdump-workers are both cc'd.

Just to be clear, up until now we did not see this issue because the
BPF filter code generated by libpcap would always look into packet
offsets for vlan tag information. With the patch that I submitted to
tcpdump-workers a day ago, it no longer looks into the packet but in
the skb meta data (which is the right thing to do going forward). This
breaks raw packets. We will have to handle this in the kernel to fix
it.

ani