tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [tcpdump] tcpdump-4.4.0 installs duplicate binaries (#330)

From: Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 22:39:06 -0400

tjackson <notifications () github com> wrote:
    > I noticed that tcpdump-4.4.0 installs a versioned binary in addition to
    > tcpdump. Was this an oversight in the Makefile or intentional? Since
    > 'tcpdump' is duplicated as well it makes it harder to have both
    > versions installed, if that was the intention.

    > Many distribution packages I checked just remove the versioned binary.

tjackson <notifications () github com> wrote:
    > Actually, I see now that this isn't specific to version 4.4.0. Is there
    > any drawback to removing the versioned binary?

Assuming that you type "make install", you'll get
         /usr/bin/install -c tcpdump /usr/local/sbin/tcpdump
         /usr/bin/install -c tcpdump /usr/local/sbin/tcpdump.`cat ./VERSION`

which means that "tcpdump" is whatever version you most recently installed,
and "tcpdump.4.4.0" is the specific version.  How is this a problem?