tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Multiple call to pcap_open_live

From: Benjamin Vanheuverzwijn <bvanheu () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 17:06:47 -0500

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 4:22 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Nov 17, 2013, at 9:38 PM, Benjamin Vanheuverzwijn <bvanheu () gmail com>
wrote:

libpcap version: 1.4.0 (on archlinux)

Is it possible to have multiple call to "pcap_open_live()" followed by
pcap_close() ?

Yes, modulo bugs in libpcap or libraries it uses.

It seems like pcap_close() doesn't cleanly close opened resources, if you
strace the following program, you will see file descriptors growing up.

Bug in the "support on Linux for USB-attached CANbus devices" code; fixed
in the libpcap trunk, and will be fixed in the 1.5 release when it comes
out.

I've just tested against libpcap commit
11031d0f71387161c282248cddc2fa0f7bf014ce (Mon Nov 11 11:21:43 2013
-0800) that i got from here
https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/libpcap.gitand the problem still
exists.

I'm still not sure if the problem comes from my distro or the libpcap code.
If you can't reproduce i would say that the problem comes from my distro,
but i'm not sure where to look.

--
Benjamin Vanheuverzwijn