tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: code available: netmap support for libpcap

From: Luigi Rizzo <rizzo () iet unipi it>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 13:16:26 -0800

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 1:05 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Feb 27, 2014, at 12:57 PM, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo () iet unipi it> wrote:

this can be used to plumb things together.

If you want to plumb things together, do you need libpcap?

the plumbing is done by netmap/vale/netmap pipes.

libpcap is "only" a shim layer that can be used by
tools that only speak libpcap so you do not need
to recompile them.

But it is a crucially important shim layer that
gives you a lot of flexibility.

Say you want to interconnect two VMs,

Why would I use libpcap for that?

or a traffic generator and a firewall/ids/monitor
that you want to test for performance, etc.

But wouldn't I create a netmap pipe using something other than libpcap,
and only use libpcap if I want to watch the traffic on that pipe?

I.e., what would be lost if, for example, libpcap only supported capturing
on existing netmap devices, and didn't support creating new ones on the fly?

Well you would lose the ability to connect to a
VALE switch or a pipe (which only support dynamically
created endpoints).

Most importantly, you would need additional code to
disable the functionality, because if you look
at the pcap-netmap.c everything is handled in the
nm_open() call.

cheers
luigi