tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: New LINKTYPE_ for EPON

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 15:29:16 -0700

On Apr 23, 2014, at 6:58 AM, Philip Rosenberg-Watt <P.Rosenberg-Watt () cablelabs com> wrote:

I sent this to the list -- twice -- but it never showed up, so I'll just
resend it to you. I don't know what's going on.

Moderation?  Michael?

I only put in the first "if" clause because some PON sniffer manufacturers
may interpret the standard differently, and instead of dumping them out of
the dissector entirely, I thought I could throw them a helpful error with
a hint towards fixing their implementation. I believe the description
should stay the same: that the preamble is 6 octets long with an optional
idle (0x55) octet preceeding, depending on system alignment. 8 octets
would be an error and needs correction in the PON sniffer implementation.

If that's what the description says, then the Wireshark dissector should treat frames with two 0x55's as an error,
rather than trying to work around them.

Wireshark or tcpdump dissectors shouldn't "extend" the description on tcpdump.org; the whole point of those
descriptions is to allow people to write dissectors for a given LINKTYPE_/DLT_ value *without* having to look at
tcpdump or Wireshark source - if the description doesn't allow somebody to write a program that handles those headers
the same way tcpdump or Wireshark do, because they also need to know about special processing tcpdump or Wireshark
does, then the description is incomplete and needs to be completed.

Here's the problem as I see it: DPoE is simply an extension of (the unused
and ignored) part of EPON, not a completely different format.

But it requires that the header be processed differently; "completely" is irrelevant - the purpose of a LINKTYPE_/DLT_
value is to indicate to the code processing a capture how it should process the header indicated by the value.

Another problem is that EPON and DPoE system equipment can interoperate to
some level, and the PON sniffer has no way of knowing whether the traffic
it's seeing is DPoE or regular EPON. There would be no determine which
LINKTYPE_ to put in the pcap file without human intervention.

A piece of equipment
sniffing the data should already know what it's capturing is EPON.

Unless I'm missing something, the first of those paragraphs says the hardware *doesn't* know whether the octet in
question is 0x55 or an encryption field, so it doesn't know whether it's capturing standard EPON or EPON with the DPoE
encryption extension.

If that's the case, so that a human has to indicate how the octet should be interpreted in any case, a single
LINKTYPE_/DLT_ value is OK.