tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: What's the point of "oui Unknown"?

From: John Hawkinson <jhawk () MIT EDU>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 17:47:41 -0400

Hannes Gredler <hannes () juniper net> wrote on Sun, 19 Oct 2014
at 23:11:56 +0200 in <20141019211156.GA90046@hannes-mba.local>:

make it better ;-) - what do you suggest ? - pull in a OUI table frequently ?

As I said, I think:

| the Unknown oui printing should be removed.

Because this feels like a half-implemented feature that turns into
an annoyance. Can we just remove the "Unknown" printing?

I also don't see a really good way to solve the problem you
want solved (though I don't realy want it solved...).

One approach would be to do a realtime lookup of OUIs,
such as in the DNS.

Put them in OUI.ARPA (or oui.tcpdump.org) and look them up
when -n is not specified? Maybe?

--jhawk () mit edu
  John Hawkinson