tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: bpf.tcpdump.org vs github

From: Michal Sekletar <msekleta () redhat com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 18:23:19 +0100

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 10:01:11PM -0500, Michael Richardson wrote:

okay, can we start again.
I would appreciate some clear data and clear complaints.

This is what I heard:
     a) which is "master", bpf or github?

There are commits on github/master which are not on bpf. We already have
maintenance branch for 4.7 but there was no release yet. No commit on master has
tcpdump-4.7 tag. This is very confusing.

     b) bpf is unreliable.

I mean an outage for hour or two and regular maintaince windows are
fine but if site is unreachable for days without prior notice then it is
unreliable in my book.

     c) there is some issue (please explain more) with bpf.tcpdump.org
     experiencing auto-merging difficulties.

In my opinion you are putting this mildly. I am sorry, but current situation with
tcpdump/libpcap git is very unfortunate.
Why auto-merging doesn't work I can't tell. I have no idea who is an admin of
bpf and what cron job doing the merge actually does.

     d) this CVE process has been botched (I said this, and I take
     responsability for this)

It could have been much less painful if all of the above was not the case.

before I propose some solution/policy/adjustment, I want to make sure that
I've heard all the issues.

I don't follow, you don't like the idea to use GitHub then why we encourage
people to use it as tool for contributing to the project.

Michal

--
]     mcr () sandelman ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [