tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: posix_fadvise()

From: Rick Jones <rick.jones2 () hpe com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 10:21:29 -0700

On 04/19/2016 10:02 AM, Denis Ovsienko wrote:
Hello list.

As far as documentation goes, some sense may be presumed in libpcap
calling posix_fadvise() with POSIX_FADV_SEQUENTIAL. This way the OS
would be able to adjust the buffers better to read the .pcap file.
Does anybody have any practical experience with posix_fadvise() to
comment if the gain is ever visible with present day hardware and
OSes?

Well, in the long ago and far away when web server benchmarking was all the rage, I and others with whom I was working found that getting a web server to use posix_fadvise() to tell the file system the web server was no longer interested in trailing sections of its access log was a clear win for keeping less-frequently but still accessed URLs in the file cache.

If nothing else, if tcpdump isn't doing so already it would be a worthwhile thing to add to the writing of the capture file. And, for that matter, just about anything generating logfiles...

happy benchmarking,

rick jones

[Note to moderator: I've updated my subscription to my new email and cancelled the post that got moderated.]