tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Hardware Timestamping Problem

From: Guenter Ebermann <guenter.ebermann () googlemail com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 01:09:42 +0200

Am 10.06.2016 um 00:13 schrieb Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>:

But that doesn't mean that the packets time stamped by the hardware when transmitted will be delivered to the
PF_PACKET sockets used by libpcap *with the hardware time stamp as the time stamp*.

In order make that happen, if hardware transmit time stamping is enabled for a PF_PACKET socket:

      dev_queue_xmit_nit() will *NOT* deliver, to that socket, packets queued for transmission;

      when the hardware says "I've transmitted these packets" (and time-stamped them), the driver will take those
packets and deliver them to all PF_PACKET sockets with hardware transmit time stamping enabled?

If those aren't done, then code processing packets from a PF_PACKET socket will get a mix of packets with software
time stamps (packets sent by the machine on which that code is running) and hardware time stamps (packets received by
that machine).

I don't see any obvious code in dev_queue_xmit_nit() to avoid delivering packets to sockets that have requested
hardware time stamping, so the first of those statements doesn't appear to be true; is the second one true?

Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems the drivers deliver the sent packets, including the hardware-timestamp, to the error
queue of the socket.
They all call skb_tstamp_tx() to do this, after the hardware has transmitted the packet and time-stamped it.