tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: WinDump fails to compile on latest libpcap

From: Yang Luo <hsluoyb () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 10:22:22 +0800

Hi Guy,

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 2:10 AM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Oct 6, 2016, at 4:53 AM, Gisle Vanem <gvanem () yahoo no> wrote:

Yang Luo wrote:

Given that WinDump is kind of "official" example to use libpcap/Npcap
API,
it's not good that they can't compile.

Why do you say that? IMHO, tcpdump/WinDump at:
 https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/tcpdump.git

is the "official". Works fine for me on Windows. Have you tried it?

Yes.  The WinDump at

        https://www.winpcap.org/windump/

is based on an old version of tcpdump.

Ultimately, there shouldn't *be* a program named "windump" - it should be
called "tcpdump" even on Windows, and should be built from the same source
on Windows as on UN*X.

I was misled by WinDump:)

I don't know whether the project files in that source tree are up-to-date;
if not, we should probably update them.  We should also look at CMake files
that work on both Windows and UN*X, as we're doing with libpcap (the
libpcap CMake files for libpcap are still a work-in-progress, but I've used
them on my Windows 7 virtual machine and I think I've used them on macOS as
well).

I will try to build TCPdump via MSVC project files later.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Yang

It's good we've got rid of the mess with "bittypes.h" etc.

Yes.