tcpdump mailing list archives

Plans for libpcap?

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 02:13:06 +0100

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 07:17:52PM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de> wrote:
    > with the ongoing work on getting rpcap client and server code working in libpcap,
    > what is missing for libpcap to continue as the "official" successor of Winpcap?
    > Are there ideas or plans to do something like that?

It seems like a good thing; but I can't commit to building code or fielding
bug reports.
So I think it depends upon having enough volunteers to do that kind of thing.
Are you able to help?

Not very much, as I am mostly a Linux (and recently macOS) user. I "care" about
Winpcap for two reasons:
1) It's the only code base that can do rpcap and I use APs that run an rpcapd.
   This reason is soon going away.
2) Winpcap is an essential part of Wireshark's success on Windows and it looks
   like it's not getting the amount of maintenance it could be getting. For a while
   it looked like npcap might fill that gap with e.g. native wireless capture,
   but with the recent license update that hope turned out to have been too
   optimistic.
From an open source developer's perspective, I found it wasteful that Winpcap was
a fork of libpcap that was never merged back to its foundation (and now seems to
run out of active development resources).

Ciao
   Jörg

--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer () loplof de>