tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [the-tcpdump-group/libpcap] on the fly decompression of savefiles named *.gz (#578)

From: Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 12:07:14 -0400

Ray Bellis <notifications () github com> wrote:
    > If I've done it right (although I might not have) it'll just fail to
    > not
    > supporting it if libz.so isn't available at compile time and it'll be
    > treated as an unrecognized file format.

    > In any event, if libz.so isn't available it's pretty unlikely that the
    > gzip binary will be either (unless it's a bizarre system with a static
    > only binary)

It's an issue that distro maintainers will need to think about.
Adding the dependancy pulls in that library regardless of whether or not
it will be used.   libz.so is probably pretty ubiquitous, so probably I'm
just grasping at straws, but already have a bunch of annoying dependancies
for libpcap...

--
]     mcr () sandelman ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [