tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [the-tcpdump-group/libpcap] libpcap.so file not always using OBJ_PIC during a make install (#589)

From: Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 10:01:07 -0400

KevinGuthrie <notifications () github com> wrote:
    > I have not been able to determine why this randomly fails. I do know
    > that we are supporting multiple jobs when running make, so that might
    > be part of the issue. I'm wondering if the install-shared-so is
    > supposed to be dependent on the libpcap.so or should it be dependent on
    > $(SHAREDLIB). I'm also unfamiliar with your needs for the libpcap.so
    > target, especially with other OS options.

I'm not a fan of the install target causing compilations, because the install
target often runs as root, and may even be installing from a "/usr/src" that
is NFS mounted or something.

On the other hand, when developing, it's really a PITA if the object files do
not get rebuilt when you expect them to be...

--
]     mcr () sandelman ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [