tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [the-tcpdump-group/tcpdump] Color support: WIP with code+screenshots (#686)

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 00:33:22 -0700

On Jun 21, 2018, at 12:28 AM, Ryan Doyle <ryan () doylenet net> wrote:

Step2. Expand by adding meaning to XML. The printer could then start to know what a <packet> is and what it's
attributes mean. At this point we could start adding color to these.

Step3. Expand further, protocol by protocol adding printers that know about the contents of the XML. Also, IMO any
dropping of printed information (eg, depending on the -vvvv flags) should be done when parsing the XML, not when
generating it. The parser/printer would be the one that knows about -v flags and or timestamp options.

Disclaimer though: I really don't know how easy/hard this would be to do. Also it might introduce a dependency on
libxml or otherwise unless we were to parse XML ourselves

Presumably you mean "*generate* XML ourselves" - what you described is an example of *writing* XML, not *reading* XML.
*Writing* XML is easier than *reading* it, and *writing* XML without the aid of libxml or some other XML library is
easier than *reading* it without the aid of such a library.