tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [tcpdump-security] [libpcap] Problem with version 1.9.0

From: Dagobert Michelsen <dam () opencsw org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 22:33:00 +0200

Hi Jan,

Am 23.07.2018 um 22:04 schrieb Jan Stary <hans () stare cz>:

From both a sysadmin and user perspective, I find the GNU autotools
amd CMake a major annoyance. Would you please consider doing what e.g.
http://mandoc.bsd.lv/cgi-bin/cvsweb/configure does?

A simple, hand written shell script, with a set of obvious
{test,compat}-*.c helpers. No dependency on anything, orders
of multitude smaller and faster then a auto*-generated configure.

No - please! Handwritten configure scripts are the worst nightmare for
downstream packages as each package uses its own way to configure flags
for compilation, linkage, install relocation etc. This makes
packaging stuff hard as it requires specific adjustments of build
procedures. I maintain roughly 1600 packages and this would not be
possible when there were no standards. Autotools is far from perfect,
but it is a standard and after you figured something out it works for
hundreds of builds in the same way.

Best regards

  — Dago