tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Legacy Linux kernel support

From: Mario Rugiero via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 17:19:14 -0400 (EDT)

--- Begin Message --- From: Mario Rugiero <mrugiero () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 18:24:43 -0300
El mar., 22 oct. 2019 a las 18:01, Guy Harris (<gharris () sonic net>) escribió:

If RHEL 6 matters, oldest longterm from kernel.org only doesn't work, because RHEL 6 runs 2.6.32, according to

        https://access.redhat.com/articles/3078

so if we're going to support only the oldest longterm maintenance kernel from kernel.org, we're not going to support
RHEL 6 unless TPACKET_V3 has been back ported to the RHEL 6 kernel.

If it's not backported, *and* we continue to use TPACKET_V2 for immediate mode, then RHEL 6 happens to still be
supported to that extent.

However, if we require any *other* mechanisms that aren't present in the RHEL 6 kernel, that means no RHEL 6 support.

So I wouldn't claim RHEL 6 support solely on the basis of continued TPACKET_V2 support - don't rely on the side
effect.

Exactly. I'm against supporting it if it requires extra work. I don't
think libpcap 1.10 is an absolute need in a scenario where you have to
deal with RHEL 6, except possibly for security fixes, but those will
have to be backported by Red Hat anyway.

Either that, or just change TPACKET_V3 to do that.

Yes, that's what I was proposing.

Originally, TPACKET_V3 delivered wakeups in a bogus fashion:

The code currently has the patch, and doesn't deliver empty blocks.

I'll read these carefully later, but my take on it is that TPACKET_V3
used to support our use case, so in principle a patch to restore it
could be accepted.
I find it unclear whether it is the ability of posting of empty blocks
that would break use cases or its absence from the previous paragraph,
but I guess I'll know after reading the mails.

It doesn't look as if you've sent anything to netdev yet about tpacket changes.

I haven't, I wanted to discuss this here first.

--- End Message ---