tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: decode MPLS-contained packets?

From: Francois-Xavier Le Bail via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 16:01:19 -0400 (EDT)

--- Begin Message --- From: Francois-Xavier Le Bail <devel.fx.lebail () orange fr>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 22:03:00 +0200
On 05/05/2020 21:44, Gert Doering wrote:
We should print "PW Ethernet Control Word" and the "Sequence Number", 2 last 2 octets of the 4.
Like:
PW Ethernet Control Word, Sequence Number xxx
I think we should only print this if "-v" is given.  Most of the time,
both control word and sequence number are of little interest.

I really like tcpdump's very compact "only the most relevant info" output
format (by default).

OK for "-v" only print.

Other information from Francesco Fondelli:

it is a bit more complicated than that, look for

    /*
     * No, there isn't, so use the 1st nibble logic (see BCP 4928,
     * RFC 4385 and 5586).
     */

in
https://code.wireshark.org/review/gitweb?p=wireshark.git;a=blob;f=epan/dissectors/packet-mpls.c;h=4ecb10d1216077b92e6d4ca2520340cf053414f4;hb=HEAD

and also the PW ETH heuristic in looks_like_plain_eth

https://code.wireshark.org/review/gitweb?p=wireshark.git;a=blob;f=epan/dissectors/packet-pw-eth.c;h=aec7b662d38ddb36514ed3c213df47ad53ad610b;hb=HEAD

Wireshark MPLS heuristic is not perfect and has been criticized but is still there :-) hopefully
correctly parsing your data as well.

For tcpdump maybe a -T based approach is better?

-T mpls (+ 1st nibble logic for IPv4/IPv6)
-T ethpw
-T ethpwnocw

Probably some more work to do...

And probably linked to https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8469.