tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Intro Lesson Plan/Tutorial

From: "Plotnick, Neil via tcpdump-workers" <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 10:51:45 -0400 (EDT)

--- Begin Message --- From: "Plotnick, Neil" <nplotnick () everett k12 ma us>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 10:53:07 -0400
This lesson is part of a much larger curriculum on cybersecurity. I have
written multiple lessons on using the CLI including ipconfig, ping, cat and
other generic and network specific tools. Many of the utilities and
concepts taught are mapped to the CompTIA Security+ certification exam.

My school uses Project Lead the Way (PLTW) for many of our STEM courses.
PLTW for cybersecurity relies primarily on virtual environments for Windows
and Linux that are hosted by AWS. Having spent 15 years in IT (mostly with
Novell Netware, Windows NT, OS/2, Macintosh), I really felt that the VMs
can be valuable but are never as authentic as a real network would be. To
that end, I have my students SSH into an Ubuntu Server from their Windows
desktops using PuTTY or Chrome extensions. Some of my lessons focus on
navigating the Linux directory structure, using Nano for simple file
editing, BASH scripting and Python programming. As a one year survey
course, there are a lot of topics that we cover.

The impetus for writing this particular lesson was the PLTW unit on
WireShark. TCPDUMP was a small part of the overall unit. When my students
go through the PLTW lesson and report that they really don't understand
what they were doing, I tend to write my own materials to flesh out their
knowledge. Having worked in IT, I do have a strong appreciation for what
skills they should be learning. PLTW has a lot of focus on WireShark and
does not really do as good a job with CLI programs.

In regards to broader topics with Linux, in the May issue of Linux Format
(available now!) there is a secondary feature article on how I use Linux to
teach computer science.

Unfortunately, my students are all in sequestering mode with the Covid 19
virus. I had hoped to teach them about nmap, TCP/IP ports and other things.

I do appreciate your feedback and look forward to hearing how I can
incorporate your experience and comments into my lessons.

Neil Plotnick
Everett HS
PAEMST 2015 in Secondary Mathematics