tcpdump mailing list archives

Need help with "-w -" option to understand, which dump raw packets to stdout

From: Tejas Patel via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 12:35:46 +0000 (UTC)

--- Begin Message --- From: Tejas Patel <tejaspatel_20 () yahoo co in>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 12:35:46 +0000 (UTC)

Hello Experts,

I am writing one utility for one of my project, where currently I create pcap file by dumping packets information
capturing through raw socket. But now I am planning to do it same as "tcpdump -i eth0 -w - | wireshark -k -i -" does,
simply write to stdout and then I can pipe it to remote machine wireshark so that I can have live capture over there.

Currently I am doing like this, to capture packets to file, and it is working fine. I can open file into wireshark as
expected.
write(fileno(fp), &pcapfh, 24);
write(fileno(fp), &pcaphdr, sizeof(pcaphdr));
write(fileno(fp), pkt_ptr, bytes_to_write);

But when I start dump to stdout, as below, it does not work. Wireshark not able to open live capture.
write(fileno(stdout), &pcapfh, 24);
write(fileno(stdout), &pcaphdr, sizeof(pcaphdr));

write(fileno(stdout), pkt_ptr, bytes_to_write);
For example - sshpass -p 'bnpBDE1LmA868lEKa9eQ.0' ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null root
() remote-host com /sbin/tcpdump -i eth0 -w - 'not port 22' | wireshark -k -i -My goal is to capture packets from
remote-host.com to my local machine with live capture, as per above example.

If anybody can help me to understand format requirement to dump to stdout, so that wireshark can understand live
capture, that would be great help.
Br,Tejaskumar Kasundra+91 9004015850

--- End Message ---