tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: libpcap detection and linking in tcpdump

From: Michael Richardson via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2021 15:12:56 -0500

--- Begin Message --- From: Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2021 15:12:56 -0500
Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org> wrote:
    >> $ /tmp/libpcap/bin/pcap-config --libs -L/tmp/libpcap/lib
    >> -Wl,-rpath,/tmp/libpcap/lib -lpcap

    > So that *should* cause /tmp/libpcap/lib to be added to the executable's
    > path, which *should* cause it to look in /tmp/libpcap/lib for shared
    > libraries.

I have never seen this work since the move from SunOS-style
shared-library/AOUT to ELF twenty years ago.
-R/tmp/libpcap/lib is what I used to do, but AFAIK, this is equally a no-op.

    > I'll try experimenting with one of my Ubuntu VMs.

    > In the meantime, for some fun head-exploding reading, take a look at
    >   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rpath
    > and perhaps some other documents found by a search for

Yeah... I don't even know what to say.

--
]     mcr () sandelman ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

--- End Message ---