tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [OPSAWG] I-D Action: draft-ietf-opsawg-pcapng-00.txt

From: Michael Tuexen via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 22:05:11 +0100

--- Begin Message --- From: Michael Tuexen <michael.tuexen () lurchi franken de>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 22:05:11 +0100
On 25. Jan 2023, at 21:33, Carsten Bormann <cabo () tzi org> wrote:

On 25. Jan 2023, at 17:42, Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca> wrote:

I am not sure that pcap*NG* is so incredibly established that we can't change
it.  I just hate "Next Generation" for anything, particularly when time moves on.
What about if we kept N and G, but changed what they meant?

(SenML started as an XML vocabulary, but now is mostly JSON and CBOR — so we turned the “ML” into “Measurement Lists”.
Which is somewhat bizarre, but keeps the acronym.
For retronyming PCAPNG, what is central to PCAPNG that would explain the P, N, and G?)
pcap, now generalized?

Best regards
Michael

Grüße, Carsten