tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: AC_LBL_FIXINCLUDES does not make it into configure

From: Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 01:40:48 -0800

--- Begin Message --- From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 01:40:48 -0800
On Jan 22, 2023, at 9:59 AM, Denis Ovsienko via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org> wrote:

I have also removed AC_LBL_C_INLINE and a conditional substitute for
Tru64 pfopen() from tcpslice.  Interestingly, tcpslice and tcpdump,
which don't call pfopen(), used to have this substitute, and libpcap,
which does call pfopen(), does not have it.

That dates back to tcpdump 3.4.  I don't know why they decided to compile pfopen() into tcpdump and tcpdslice if it's
not in a system library, rather than compiling it into libpcap if it's not in a system library.  Perhaps they wanted to
be able to build versions of libpcap that would work both on Tru64 UNIX versions in which pfopen() is in a system
library and versions in which it's not and all you have is pfopen.c source code under /usr/examples.

I don't know what older versions those might be, and I suspect we have little if any reason to continue to make it
possible to build tcpdump or tcpslice on those older versions - it looks as if Tru64 UNIX 4.x and 5.x have pfopen() in
system libraries; according to

        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tru64_UNIX

4.0A through 4.0F all date back to the previous millennium.

In tcpdump it is a bit more entrenched, so I did not touch it yet.

It looks as if you removed the pfopen() stuff from tcpdump's configure script in
43670fb635503e69cdbf8055134a0befb94d2e15.

The AC_LBL_C_INLINE stuff is still there, but doesn't look *that* entrenched; are there any compilers that we need to
support and that *don't* support C99 inline?  If not, we could just remove the call from configure.ac and the
definition from aclocal.m4.

--- End Message ---