Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: BSD chfn bug

From: imp () VILLAGE ORG (Warner Losh)
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 12:28:13 -0700

In message <19991220153724.A24141 () hq alert sk> Pavol Luptak writes:
: My friend a long time ago found a hole in BSD chfn/chsh/chpass vulnerable i=
: n all versions FreeBSD 2.x - 4.0. I don't find any possibility how this exp=
: loit. I think, readers of this mailing list will appreciate this.

Lukasz Luzar found this months ago.  I've been testing his fixes on my
machine for some time (mostly becuase I got busy and didn't commit
them).  I'm going to fix that now.

At best you can get a file in /etc/ that is owned by yourself.

Warner