Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: INZIDER!

From: kotz () FLASH NET (Kotz)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 18:06:31 -0600

rotaiv wrote:
"When I tested it, my conclusion was that inzider looks for open UDP
ports and not TCP ports. The ports he mentioned (135, 139) are UDP
whereas I believe Netbus and BO use TCP ports."

I don't know about Netbus, but BO uses UDP ports. So if inzider really
does look for only UDP ports and it didn't pick up BO it's likely that
it doesn't scan higher than, say, 10000 or something. Most scanners or
diagnostics tools don't go that high simply because it would take a
while, and normally BO is put on 31337 or some other equally high
number. I would say try putting BO on a low port number to find out.
Since I don't know much about Netbus, it's just a guess that the same
thing is happening, but I really am not sure since I don't even know
which protocol Netbus uses.