Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

restoretextmode problems

From: kotz () FLASH NET (robert)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 23:01:15 -0500

Well, I personally did not find this bug, but I helped "diagnose" it if
you will. Basically, restoretextmode doesn't check to see that the data it
reads from a file is CORRECT data (with restoretextmode -r that is, so if
you feed it enough crap from a file (for example, in older versions,
/etc/passwd is big enough) you can turn the monitor off. In newer
versions, it has to be a larger number, please forgive the fact that I
deleted the code a while back and don't remember that number exactly, but
3000 does it I'm pretty sure. Anyway, the monitor turns off, and you can't
turn it back on without a reboot, found that out the hard way. The one
thing about this, is, when tried remotely, you get the error that you
aren't the current owner of the console. Now, I seem to remember a
previous exploit that came across the same error and there was a way
around it, but I don't remember exactly how it was, anyone know?