Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Need help cracking wwwboard passwd.txt

From: j.luster () GIGABELL NET (Jonas Luster)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:40:44 +0200

[ Quoting Devin Walters <devin () PORTALMEDIA COM> ]:

What kind of cracker do I use to crack a wwwboard passwd.txt file?  And
where can I find it? Also when correcting a large company on security holes
in their web boards how much should i ask for as payment?

If you don't know how (or can tell by the look at the source of
wwwboard), you're not worth a dime.

There's two ways getting money from discovering security holes:

Blackmailing / Hacking without the companys authorisation: Hope you
get caught and jailed for being stupid.

Being a contract hacker: You _really_ schould be able to tell the way
a password is generated by looking at it or by looking at the code
that generated it. Take a look at some of the standard-books such as
the Cryptonomicon, frequently check the net (http/nntp, et. al.)

jonas