Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: network appliance...

From: jpr5 () BOS BINDVIEW COM (Jordan Ritter)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 12:44:06 -0400

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, JT wrote:

# has anyone heard of vulnerabilities in the Network Appliance base
# operating systems? they're the company that makes large filer head
# systems and my company is considering buying one. the operating system
# is unix or unix based but an nmap scan on known open ports in
# demonstration showed absolutely nothing - no operating systems id
# either. i was curious as to whether this is really as safe as it
# seems...

I believe they have a default permissions problem for access to the dirs
they export out.  I would double check and make sure you've configured it
to be reasonably secure.

Jordan Ritter
RAZOR Security
BindView Corporation