Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: jump2.eudora.com

From: "Schlachter, Jake" <jts28 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 15:01:57 -0400

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Fabio Roccatagliata wrote:

It doesn't send any misterious information.
It simply checks out if any newer version is available.
No serials, codes or other personal informations are transmitted.

That's a slippery slope. Where are the privacy people out there? If
nothing else, it's a clandestine use of my computer resources, if I am
left unnotified of the function, and I think that's something to guard
against on principle. Firewalling only works when you are made aware of
the transmission, and I agree that it shouldn't require that the customer
run a firewall to control it.

Roughly two cents.

Jake Schlachter
jts28 () cornell edu