Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Information on Raptor

From: malikai () INTERACTIVEALIEN COM (Malikai)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 09:55:18 -0600

below are the issues I have with this product. I have just recently taken
the NetGuard and NetMaster courses with Axent for a client of mine. I had
a few big issues personally, however I am not sure if they are really
issues, or if I was miscommunicated to during the class.

I will start off with what I know are issues, and then continue with what
I believe are. None of this is certain, except for the performance ones,
which are common to all application gateways.

1. Performance
This is an application gateway, which is slower than (allmost) any packet
filtering system.

2. DNSD
Apparently this is a full function DNS server capable of handling all
standard dns functionality. This also wants to be your primary dns
server. (Your firewall is your dns server too?!) What about dns cache
poisoning?

3. VPN logging
I can't really believe this one and hope there is some form of workaround
for it however, this is what I understood. This is the default configuration.
There is no logging of VPN/tunneled traffic. This means there is no way
to audit any vpn traffic, or store logs of anything going through the vpn
layer of the proxy. Blindfolded?

A summary of what I understand is fairly simple here. Application gateways
(when not single application gateways, like http proxies), are very
complex, slow, and fail to keep it simple. This is a firewall we are
talking about here, and why should internal (or even worse,
external) clients be talking directly to the firewall? I don't mind tools
like the MimeSweeper, or any specific function proxies. However, when we
shove it all into one box, we just slowed down and decresed by a magnitude
the security of the gateway.

-Malikai